>That cupboard what I like.

>I mentioned my cupboards the other day and in particular one that I really like, although I shouldn’t. This cupboard has very little in it. The odd tin of something that expired about 5 or more years ago – things like that. Nothing tumbles out and attacks me, nothing starts growing in there, apart from, perhaps, within the tins, but I never find out as my daughters will throw out anything that is past it’s sell-by-date out. Even if it’s just a few hours.

So imagine my absolute and sheer horror when I looked in said cupboard earlier this evening and found the following packets. (Yes. Packets, sachets, whatever.)

1. AMOY Wok Express – Satay.
2. Some form of spice mix for Burritos.
3. 2 packets of vindaloo and cayenne seasoning mix.
4. 3 packets of raita seasoning mix.

It’s the last one that really gets me. Raita = cucumber and yoghurt for me. That’s all. No additional extras, it is supposed to accompany a hot curry and cool it down, or simply be a side-dish. Easy, cheap and lovely. People who know more about cooking than me may correct me, although it may be a risk to their life.

My entire ambition of trying to eat more healthily, involving more vegetables has gone to pot. A stir-fry from scratch which doesn’t take much longer than chucking in a bag of readily prepared ‘stir-fry veg’ is cheaper and tastier. A curry prepared from scratch is far, far better than all those bloody ready-made, chuck-in sauces. Yes, I’m angry. Yes, I am working longer hours than before. Yes I do work longer hours than the Twat.

And all I’m asking is for cheaper meals, tastier meals to suit my budget.

Christ, I needed that off my massive bosom.

Tomorrow is Friday. Time to clear out the garage – at last. Any dead bodies found in there are nothing to do with me.

Share/Bookmark

1. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

is there such a thing as cheap, easy and healthy meals any more, everytime i try and do the whole healthy bit, i have paid more at the supermarket then the gas bill last quarter, i have now given up, far too stressful lol

2. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

3. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

4. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

5. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

6. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

7. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

8. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

9. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

10. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I find that eating healthy makes no difference to my health, apart from continuous bloody diarre… dira… shits, only to my pocket. (never could spell diarrhea)
    These last two weeks I have been eating cheapo ready meals from Aldi because it was too f**king cold standing in the kitchen cooking expensive “healthy” food, and do you know; I feel really great this week. I could run the marathon, or even run to Belgium and help the twat build his shed!

11. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

12. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

13. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

14. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

15. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

16. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

17. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

18. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

19. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I’ve completely forgotten what words of wisdom and encouragement I was going to offer…..
    massive breasticals massive breasticals massive breasticals …… mmmmmm ….. oh dear ….. mmmmmmmm …… is it hot in here?

20. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

21. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

22. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

23. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

24. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

25. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

26. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

27. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

28. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I do hope Twat isn’t out in the garage.

29. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I do hope Twat isn’t out in the garage.

30. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I do hope Twat isn’t out in the garage.

31. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I do hope Twat isn’t out in the garage.

32. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I do hope Twat isn’t out in the garage.

33. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I do hope Twat isn’t out in the garage.

34. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I do hope Twat isn’t out in the garage.

35. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I do hope Twat isn’t out in the garage.

36. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I do hope Twat isn’t out in the garage.

37. a
    Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Mix all together with a the cheapest tin of cream of mushroom soup that you can find,serve on a bed of boil in the bag rice.Let them eat it while you go out to eat somewhere delicious and healthy. Just make sure that they haven’t fed it to the tortoise in your absence……..

38. a

Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

44. a
    Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

45. a
    Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

46. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

A photo of your *massive* breasts would brighten my day and take my mind off the delicious Chinese I am about to eat!

47. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

48. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

49. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

50. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

51. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

52. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

53. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

54. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

55. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

At least you don’t have a pantry with like 5-year-old tins of something unknowable that are all bloated and wholly poisonous for sure…?!? I did that once, with a single tin of sauerkraut [what the hell was I thinking buying that in the first place??] in my earliest bachelor days! hahahaa.

56. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

57. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

58. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

59. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

60. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

61. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

62. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

63. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

64. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

OK something weird is going on here. I am half way through a post about the exotic (for me) stuff I found in my pantry yesterday. You must be sending subliminal inspiration. Keep it up!

65. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

66. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

67. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

68. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

69. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

70. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

71. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

72. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

73. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Maybe you should send Todd out shopping? On second thought, then there might be two bodies in the garage instead of one.

74. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

75. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

76. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

77. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

78. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

79. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

80. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

81. Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

82. Posted Friday, April 3, 2009 at 7:59 am | Permalink

what a rum lot, healthy cooking is easy and cheap. If you can learn Indian home cooking, not the restaurant cooking, you’ll never eat a ready meal again. Ok, not as often.

83. Posted Friday, April 3, 2009 at 7:59 am | Permalink

84. Posted Friday, April 3, 2009 at 7:59 am | Permalink

85. Posted Friday, April 3, 2009 at 7:59 am | Permalink

86. Posted Friday, April 3, 2009 at 7:59 am | Permalink

87. Posted Friday, April 3, 2009 at 7:59 am | Permalink

88. Posted Friday, April 3, 2009 at 7:59 am | Permalink

89. Posted Friday, April 3, 2009 at 7:59 am | Permalink

90. Posted Friday, April 3, 2009 at 7:59 am | Permalink

91. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

A quick easy meal I have if I’ve been out all day is crackers and cheese (MTL never runs out of these) with toms and cucs if poss, followed by soft fruit, banana and hazelnut yog. Quick and reasonably healthy I think.

92. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

93. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

94. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

95. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

96. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

97. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

98. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

99. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

100. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Why did you have to mention breasts? Unfair.
    I have “the” cupboard in my spare room. It has everything in it, everything that doesn’t fit. Most of it I should have got rid of, but I’m scared there’s new life forms in there. The cupboard is big enough to sleep in, but now it’s so full the only way to put anything else in it is to open a door a crack whilst holding it closed, then push the chosen item in through the top crack of the door.
    I have no reason for telling you this other than I’ve been drinking in the day time again.

101. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Why did you have to mention breasts? Unfair.

102. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Why did you have to mention breasts? Unfair.

103. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Why did you have to mention breasts? Unfair.

104. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Why did you have to mention breasts? Unfair.

105. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Why did you have to mention breasts? Unfair.

106. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Why did you have to mention breasts? Unfair.

107. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Why did you have to mention breasts? Unfair.

108. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Why did you have to mention breasts? Unfair.

109. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

I had no idea things were getting fraught like this Possibly because I havent been reading light blogs for a while

110. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

111. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

112. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

113. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

114. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

115. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

116. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

117. Posted Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

118. The Aunt
    Posted Sunday, April 5, 2009 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Given the capital you made out of the out of date tins you found in my kitchen when you helped me clear it out, I am astonished by this admission. I rib you back, Madam, I mock your cupboard reciprocally, I, as they say in Spanish, eat your hair.
    I bet not one of the packets or tins is more than a couple of years old. Pshaw and footle. In my family we make our own preserves and don’t eat the chutney until it’s least 10 years old.

119. The Aunt

Posted Sunday, April 5, 2009 at 1:36 am | Permalink

125. The Aunt
    Posted Sunday, April 5, 2009 at 1:36 am | Permalink

126. The Aunt
    Posted Sunday, April 5, 2009 at 1:36 am | Permalink

127. Posted Sunday, April 5, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Mmmmm first visit here, dead bodies in the garage…I’ll be keeping an eye on you! ;-)

128. Posted Sunday, April 5, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Has T come back home yet?? Lx

144. lulu
    Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Has T come back home yet?? Lx

145. Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I don’t think of seasoning mixes as unhealthy, unless they contain exhorbitant amounts of salt. There are days when I feel like eating taco’s or enchiladas – but haven’t the cash or energy to go to the market to get the “real” fixings, so I use a seasoning packet on whatever is around and fool my brain into thinking it is eating enchiladas instead of leftovers + spices.
    I mean – why bother measuring all the spices myself when someone else can do it for me and get it right EVERY time?

146. Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

147. Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

148. Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

149. Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

150. Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

151. Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

152. Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

153. Posted Monday, April 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

154. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:56 am | Permalink

at least all your 5-year old packets and tins still have their labels on them. would be pretty interesting to have to open the package to make out what’s inside.

155. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:56 am | Permalink

156. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:56 am | Permalink

157. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:56 am | Permalink

158. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:56 am | Permalink

159. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:56 am | Permalink

160. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:56 am | Permalink

161. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:56 am | Permalink

162. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:56 am | Permalink

163. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 6:25 am | Permalink

Sewmouse, it’s the fact that I pay for them. If the Twat wants to go ahead and pay for them – so be it. The ‘healthy diet’ was supposed to cut down on all these ready-made (and more expensive) additions.
    philters, hello. I once had that problem when I lived in an appartment with my Ex all those moons ago. We came back from holiday (Yugoslavia, it was that long ago) to find that a mouse had used all the labels on the tins in the cupboard to make a sweet little nest.
    Meals were …. interesting for a while after that. (Tinned pineapple doesn’t go well with steak – if you wanted to know.)

164. Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 6:25 am | Permalink

Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Tinned pineapple goes very well with steak when prepared with a curry sauce

180. Anonymous
    Posted Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Tinned pineapple goes very well with steak when prepared with a curry sauce

181. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hello Anonymous, still trying to have a dig?

182. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hello Anonymous, still trying to have a dig?

183. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hello Anonymous, still trying to have a dig?

184. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hello Anonymous, still trying to have a dig?

185. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hello Anonymous, still trying to have a dig?

186. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hello Anonymous, still trying to have a dig?

187. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hello Anonymous, still trying to have a dig?

188. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hello Anonymous, still trying to have a dig?

189. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hello Anonymous, still trying to have a dig?

190. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

You talk about cooking food…then dead bodies…you don’t WANT to know what I’m now thinking :-)

191. Posted Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink