>Todd N° 5,378 (and still going)

>To be honest, this is not Todd’s fault, but as his mum it does touch me deep inside as he lies there, about 800kms (according to the Twat and his mate Google) away in Auvergne.

In hospital.

My son deserves an award for screwing up other people’s lives (albeit temporarily), weekends, days and now, holidays. Including his own. And this time it wasn’t even on purpose – it has to be said, that boy has talent.

PHT, my EX and Todd left for Auvergne at 4am on Saturday morning. Todd was sick during the entire journey and upon arrival had such a bad fever that instead of going to the gite and unpacking they headed for the nearest hospital where Todd was taken in with suspected meningitis. After several blood tests and a stab in his spine (a lumber thingy, I think) and 3 hours of analysis – on a Saturday, good heavens! – meningitis was ruled out so his dad decided to call me.

I’m glad that the Ex hadn’t called me earlier as although I am not one to panic, those 3 hours of waiting for the results must have been hell. I’m not sure what was wrong with him, dehydration – I suspect, but he was hooked up to a drip and spent 2 nights in hospital, bored out of his skull. I managed to speak to him a couple of times, although Todd was slow to answer the phone when I rang him directly at the hospital. He told me it was because he wasn’t sure whose ‘phone was ringing.

He was in a private room.

Todd was finally released last night, much to his dad’s surprise – and to Todd’s relief, no doubt.

I simply hope that the rest of the holiday goes well, that the boy behaves and finds some friends for the coming fortnight.

But really, my son is so talented.

1. Posted Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 9:38 am | Permalink

That was pretty decent of your ex not putting you through 3 hours of worry and I’m glad young Todd has recovered. That only leaves you with 2 more weeks of worry, should be a breeze.

2. Posted Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Jeez – you were lucky indeed not to have to see Todd having a lumbar puncture. I had to see my own son have several of those, and even though he was sedated while they did it, he howled. Strangely, though, he could remember nothing about it afterwards.
    Being dehydrated can leave you feeling a bit disorientated, so that may explain him not knowing whose phone was ringing.
    All’s well that ends well, though, and by the sound of it, he’s up and running again. Glad to hear it.
    Being a parent is mostly great fun, but Jeez, sometimes it’s hard…
    There’s a lot to be said for a quiet life, wouldn’t you say?

3. Posted Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear he’s okay, and that it wasn’t meningitis, as that is one very nasty disease. Did they actually determine what it was, or just pump him full of antibiotics to knock it down?

4. Posted Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

MrN – I’ve no idea. All my Ex said was that he was kept in for observation and on a drip… But he’s better now 🙂

5. Posted Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Fingers crossed for Todd!

6. Posted Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Poor chile, good he’s better now.

7. Posted Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I had a lumber puncture a while back, they really bloody hurt! Swineflu for Todd next then Z?

8. Posted Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Well, it did end up giving his dad two days of vacation, and not worrying where he was.

9. Posted Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Poor fellow

10. Elsewhere
    Posted Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

I hope it’s not swinefever…

11. Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 at 12:04 am | Permalink

So glad he’s out from under. Lumbar punctures are not nice. I’m glad you were spared some of the worry.