>You Only Live Twice.

>The other day I did something that I swore that I would never, ever do: go into Todd’s bedroom and pick up his pants and socks.

Entering Todd’s room is more of a health hazard and picking up his dirty underwear breaches all the EU Health and Safety Regulations that have so carefully been put together over the past years. As a rule, I will not do more than go into Todd’s room, open his window and then shut the door for fear of the stench of sweaty feet mixed with excess use of heavy deodorant and after shave wafting through the rest of the house.

The reason for clearing away the mess was simple. The Ex had told me that each week that Todd returns here from his new school, I am to count the number of pairs of socks and boxer shorts that he brings back, wash them and give them to Todd for the next week. My idea of buying underwear with the day of the week written on each pair was not taken seriously, although it would make life all that much easier, not that I can see Todd actually wearing such under garments, but my reason was to help the boy organise himself.

So I spent quite some time picking up socks and boxer shorts from various parts of Todd’s bedroom and managed to fill the washing machine with my findings. When I hung them up the following day I was shocked to learn that 13 pairs of shorts, 8 pairs of socks and 23 odd socks – most of which belonged to the girls – had been lying in Todd’s bedroom for as long as I can remember. Or maybe they had been breeding.

Seeing as I really don’t fancy going back into Todd’s room I have decided to keep his underwear in my cupboard and hand out 7 pairs of each to Todd this coming Sunday. I mean, Christ only knows what else I may find in his room should I return, so I prefer to stay on this side of his bedroom door.

The Ex hasn’t taken into account that washing machines are greedy buggers and never return the same amount of socks that you put into them. I think, just for fun or sheer insanity, I’m going to keep count of how many socks get eaten each time Todd comes home. I’ll then enter my figures into some sort of elaborate Excel sheet, send it to Miele and demand a refund.

I’ll call it ‘Cash for Socks’.

1. NickyB
    Posted Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Genius! Between us all we could bankrupt the white goods industry

2. Posted Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Miele will tell you it’s not their fault, they’ll tell you it’s the great big sock eater. He [yes…it’s a HE]…he hides in washing machines all over the world.
    If you deny the existence of the great big sock eater, they’ll tell you to write Santa who will bring you more socks.

3. Posted Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 11:38 am | Permalink

GG – did you try asking them?

4. Posted Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I’ve calculated that there is a pile of 356,678,432,001 socks somewhere – one day David Attenborough will make a documentary about it ……

Posted Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

You know you will have to clean Todd’s room out if you hope to put that “Room for Let” sign in the window….

6. Posted Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Wow the Ex is still baffled by this?
    As Stephen Hawking explained, rather elegantly I might add, socks explode in the black hole (Dryer) and some gravitational debris escapes as lint.
    Sheesh 🙁

7. Posted Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Ah, but Donn – I don’t have a dryer. The socks are EATEN.

8. Posted Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Make him wash his own!

9. Posted Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

You aren’t perchance purchasing bio-degradable green-technology Melting Sox that mysteriously melt in the mixture of water and laundry detergent?

10. Posted Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

No, I haven’t worn socks in a mighty long time, hm, I don’t even know where they are, come to think of it. Hm, maybe the big sock eater’s eaten them all.

11. Posted Friday, September 11, 2009 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Socks have a life of their own don’t they? Is it the fungus contained within do you think? Decides to devour the sock once water enters the mix? It’s one of life’s great mystery’s, where do socks toddle off to? As for Todd, he’s just a normal boy. Brings back memories for me *sigh* the days of taking the plunge and entering my son’s bedroom clothed in a face mask, wearing kitchen gloves to avoid the creatures lurking there, all to retrieve whatever was lying around on the floor (usually undies and odd socks)
    When they get older, these are joined by rude magazines stuffed under the bed and mattress, which of course any Mum worth her salt will end up finding because someones gotta go in there and collect the odd socks!