From quiet homes and new beginnings…

We had snow at the end of last week and even more on Friday night. The blizzard on Sunday kept us indoors as there was so much snow falling that taking photos would have meant risking our cameras, not to mention the freezing temperatures. Tatiana has “borrowed” my gloves and welly boots which is a pain in the arse, to say the least, but the weather conditions were in my favour as it meant keeping the Twat indoors so as to help me set my blog up on WordPress.

The move has been a longed-for project, but I was afraid of losing all my comments at Haloscan. It appears that they have all managed to move over, including 20,000 triplicates or so, but I think that Andy has managed a good job – we just need the odd tweak here and there. Andy Ramblings has been gracious enough to host this on his server and add his extensive IT knowledge when Andy was up against a wall, so I thank them both.

I’m pleased with the result and extremely annoyed with Haloscan that this ever had to happen at all, but there you go. I’m not the only one to be moving over here as a result of Haloscan selling to JS-Kit, and it will take me a while to learn this new template which is far more complicated than Blogger, but I will, one day, manage my entire site all by my very self.

Well, both Andys hope so.

And so here I am, finally. I’m trying to get rid of 1000 comments a day and am doing quite well so far, although I shall probably be unemployable due to RSI.

Hoping that none of you are stuck in the Eurotunnel or on a Eurostar and that you all have lovely holidays. I shall continue my job-search after the last interview sunk, as I guessed, try and brave the weather and get 3 christmas presents and spend the holiday as a couch-potato.

It’s almost certain that I shall blog, too.

Happy holidays 🙂

1. Posted Monday, December 21, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

The line at the left is TWO pixels thick, so the main body of your blog sticks out one pixel compared to the title block.

What?

I’m just trying out if I can be as annoying in the new set up as I was in the old one.

Yes we can!

PS: new blog looks great, love the tweaking of its lay-out, much congrats to Team Andy

2. Posted Monday, December 21, 2009 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome to wordpress then. I’ve been using it for some time but wouldn’t say I’m au fait with all the things you should be able to do.
    Yes, it’s snowed here too – the most we’ve had since we moved to France 7years ago. The local children have brought out their sledges but we’re staying indoors.
    Feel sorry for all those folk stranded the wrong side of the tunnel.

3. Z
    Posted Monday, December 21, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

I’ve never been so cold as when visiting my daughter in Brussels once, in early December. We went to the cinema every afternoon to warm up. They didn’t seem to mind my son, then 14, going into films he was too young for in England.

Anyway, my mother had warned me of the cold “they don’t call them the Low Countries for nothing”, she said cryptically.

4. Posted Monday, December 21, 2009 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that, Bart. Andy doesn’t know how to fix that though. And I certainly don’t. Do you?

5. Posted Monday, December 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

WordPress is wunnerful – I use it all the time, although my own blog is on an old version now, which I’ll try to find the time to upgrade. You should find it easy enough to get to grips with, though.

Have fun. Hope you’re warming up, gradually…

6. Posted Monday, December 21, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

and here I complain about the cold when it gets below 70 degrees. guess I’ll shut up.

i would dearly love to have a white christmas, though. without having to travel, I mean.

7. Posted Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 3:29 am | Permalink

Ohhh – HERE you are!

Moving right along now …

It definitely sounds like you are having the weather that Vancouver had last year at Christmas. I was trapped in my house for three days because of so much snow and no driveways or roads ploughed. Worst Christmas of my life. Hope yours will be better than that.

8. Posted Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Zed > You/Andy will have to check out your CSS file. From what I see you’ve got a ‘container’ class defined as a Div and a ‘content’ class. I assume that it has borders. You can set all borders at once, but you can also set individual borders.
    I think that both the container and content class have red borders. You can try to set the left side border of only one of them and set the other one’s border to 0px.

Hope that this is helpful, it sounds more complicated than it is really.

9. Posted Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Permalink