Bloody ants.

The best thing I did this weekend was go shopping with Tatiana who had kindly offered to prepare a barbecue before the World Cup final. The poor girl could hardly get me out of the freezer section where I was feeling very comfortable gazing at pizzas as I leant against the frozen peas section. It has been so hot lately that places such as the frozen food section of supermarkets and my cellar are my favourite haunts, although the temperature is supposed to drop by 10° today.

When we got home I found that the ants had found their way in again and there were thousands of the bloody things crawling around my French windows. This time they were mainly storm ants, many of whom had formed small clusters on the actual windows. I wasn’t quite sure how to tackle them exactly until Tatiana suggested getting the vacuum cleaner which seemed the only sensible option as they were crawling all around the entire French windows and it was impossible to see where the ants were actually coming in.

So while Tatiana cooked supper for us, I was vacuuming up ants. Storm ants – the ones with wings on. And just as their name suggests, we had a light storm during the Germany – Uruguay game which mucked the satellite around a bit and we had to watch the match in French. Excellent game, dire commentary.

The storm cooled things down for a bit but Sunday was another scorcher. Nevertheless, Tatiana wanted to go ahead with her barbecue, so I prepared a salad – again, as it’s all I really want to eat in this weather and we ate outside before going in to watch the World Cup final.

Great food, dire commentary, abysmal game.

“Mama, watching the corn pop in the microwave has been the most exciting thing to happen so far.”

I couldn’t have put it better.

1. Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 at 7:33 am | Permalink

It was football, watching an insurance policy mature would be more interesting…

I loathe fotball (and all other sports to be honest) it brings out the mindless tribal thuggery in even the nicest of people.

2. Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 at 8:47 am | Permalink

I was very happy about the storm this weekend. My girlfriend and myself also spent some time hanging out in the air conditioned super market. The heat was too much.

3. Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I’ve also had storm ants on my windows… How did they do before windows existed? :-)
    I used the ant poison from Brico and it worked pretty well.

4. Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I used some ant poison but there were ants everywhere so I just vacuumed them up ;)

Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Maybe you should have watched the ants, rather than the game? Just be glad the ants aren’t fire ants — not only are their bites painful, but it is nearly impossible to get rid of them!

6. Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Ah well, but how was Tatiana’s work on the grill?

7. Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Joe – as wonderful as standing with your back next to a pack of frozen peas :)

8. MsMcDermott
    Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

if you can locate the ants point of entry, or their route, you can put some baby powder down. Apparently they don’t like it on their ‘feet’.
    It’s a non toxic solution.

9. Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

But any rat poison (which surely will kill ants too) is probably much cheaper than perfumed baby powder?

10. NickyB
    Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Make sure you empty your hoover bag – we don’t want them breeding in there …

11. Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2010 at 9:33 am | Permalink

The use of the Hoover is probably an altogether less risky method than the “ring of fire” that I seem to remember deploying as a lad

12. Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

In the US, if there are a bunch of ants inside with wings it usually indicates a colony sending out new queens. That would mean carpenter ants eating the wood somewhere inside your house. Not sure if you get the same ants there, but in wet parts of our country they are a big problem inside of the walls eating the structure of the house.

13. cna training
    Posted Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

14. Posted Wednesday, July 21, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I sometimes run around trying to catch mosquitoes with the vacuum cleaner.