Two down, one to go.

This year started off well: Coralie has moved out too, now. Well, she is 21, she does have a job and so it only made sense to find an apartment nearer town to move into with her boyfriend. She was rather crafty on choosing the date as for christmas she received gifts such as a television, crockery set, king size bed, sheets and much more. Her uncle is tired of his sofa suite so is going to give that to her as well. I let her take various bits and bobs from her bedroom here – chest of drawers, set of shelves, a coat rack and the bed I had made for her last year, a double duvet cover, king size mattress and pillows – mainly because I’ll have to get rid of most of that some time this year anyway. I’ll probably find myself with absolutely nothing in the end, but when I get a job I’ll be fine.

It’s strange seeing her empty bedroom, littered only by bags and the remains that Coralie has to sort out, and it stings when I find items of her clothing that were put for washing. Todd’s room is still a tip and I’m not going anywhere near it unless I have some sort of safety clothing on. I was once looking for something and found a sheet full of vomit under his bed. It was almost frozen so I put it back. His father has been told to bring Todd here to clear up his room, but so far, no luck.

Todd did drop by on 2 January to wish me a happy new year, but although polite, he hardly said anything and left after 5 minutes as Coralie was giving him a lift to his dad’s.

I can’t wait for this damn foot to heal so that I can visit Coralie’s new home. She showed me photos of it and it looks lovely – it even has a large balcony facing south on which they can put garden furniture and eat outside in the summer.

Children. They cause immense pain when they arrive on this planet and just as much when they leave the nest that we built for them.

I think I’ll put blocks of cement around Tatiana’s feet.

Share/Bookmark

1. Posted Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

They will always be there for you, no matter where they go.

I know this because I’ve seen children return home when the parents need them.

Ever thought of applying for jobs overseas? In exotic places?

2. Posted Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

The washing can be heartbreaking. I’m just finishing up from Dom’s Christmas visit. Olivier goes back tomorrow. I’ve hardly seen him but the house is going to be so empty again.

Visiting daughters in their homes is great, it’s nice to be waited on and entertained.

3. NickyB
    Posted Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

It may be worth a “scorched earth” policy with Todd: clear your room out within the next two weeks or the whole lot gets binned. Isn’t it odd when they leave home? A strange there-but-not-there transition with my son now in Uni, and a sense that I want to hold him here forever whilst also letting him be free to live where and do what any 20 year old may wish to

4. Posted Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 1:05 am | Permalink

When Sharon’s youngest left/got kicked out the available crockery and cutlery doubled and several lifeforms previously thought extinct were discovered still living under her bed. However, you are lucky, I’m not even sure my own daughter knows my address.

5. Posted Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:44 am | Permalink

Don’t worry zoe, they may multiply and come back!!YIKES!!

6. Angela, Australia
    Posted Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Where’s twat? Did I miss something?
    Hope 2011 brings some positives for you, and not just from your daughters.

Posted Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Congrats to Coralie. I hope she enjoys her new place — and remembers to buy a toilet plunger before she needs it.

It can be hard watching the fledglings leave the nest — but it means you won’t have to move all their stuff!

8. Posted Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Does Coralie have an extra bedroom for you to move into? You might as well have a nice balcony and be closer to town.

9. tricia
    Posted Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

A happy new year to you Zoe. Hope 2011 brings you a job you like and a new home you love.

10. Posted Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I heartily agree with NickyB ‘s scorched earth policy!
    And I’m sure you’ll have many happy hours visiting Coralie when invited.
    New year, new beginnings – may they be happy for you.

11. Posted Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Not sure whether this will give you hope or make you despair, Zoe, but my two offspring (aged 37 and 38) are living at home again and (kind of) looking for jobs. . . .

12. Tilly
    Posted Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

I haven’t been around much lately, but have just read through the last few posts – so sorry that you’re going through such a shitty time of things at the moment, Zed, I hope 2011 sees a turn around for you.

Why are there no ‘quotes of the day’ from Q?

13. Posted Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 12:54 am | Permalink

Nice to find and read your blog! You are lucky your kids have such a good relationship with your boyfriend- mine scream at me if I even mention His name. Good luck to your daughter!

14. Janet Lennie
    Posted Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 1:17 am | Permalink

My babies new baby was born on 7th December yes I’m a grandma !!!! That didn’t stop him dragging his sorry butt home on New Years Eve and his partner anouncing she wasn’t forgiving him this time ! He left again on the 4th and when questioned said it was ‘forever’ Not cleared his room yet although DH wants to change the locks !

15. Posted Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

I loved it when I put my feet up on eldest’s own ‘design’ coffee table and heard a shriek of dismay.How’s the foot?

16. Posted Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

I can imagine it is heartbreaking. I dread the day my girls leave. But frozen vomit under the bed? That made me cringe all the way over here in Kampala!

17. chins
    Posted Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

uum… Zoe.. that sheet u found under bed.. well.. umm… that may be.. u kno.. the guy stuff… that is used to wipe after wanking.. ;)

18. Posted Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Oh. Well that all doesn’t seem like the best start to the new year ever. Happy New Year anyway and I’m just behind you with the kids fleeing the nest – one leaving later this year I guess…..very strange. Lx

19. Posted Monday, January 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

that is so, so, so sweet!
    I wish Coralie a wonderful “new life”.