Wonky needles.

After having treated my stomach like a pin cushion for the past 4 weeks, leaving it bruised and sore after the odd needle bent slightly after jabbing it into my finger first by mistake, I’m happy to say that I no longer have to go through that morning ritual as the cast is finally off.

My shopping date kindly drove me to the hospital yesterday and pushed me around in a wheelchair, bumping into just about everything in the process, as it’s so far to get to the bone doctor on crutches. I really appreciated that as I was going backwards and forwards to be re-xrayed and what have you. The scariest bit was having the cast sawn off, especially when the nurse made contact with my ankle, not that she cut through it, or anything.

My foot is still slightly broken but the doctor said that it should be alright and then suggested physiotherapy. No, not more money spent on a doctor who makes you do painful things that you really don’t want to do. So I simply asked the doctor if he could give me a few exercises that I could do at home – so he did. My ankle hurts more than ever now, and is just as swollen as it was in the first place – but I can walk, sort of, and I am so glad to see the back of those crutches. For the first time in what seems like forever, my hands don’t hurt from using the crutches and I can carry a cup of tea into the living room – albeit rather slowly.

I am liberally applying Shea butter to the area that was in plaster as the dead skin is falling off at a rather alarming rate. I’ll try exfoliating my leg again tonight until all the dead skin has gone, but I think it will be a while before the bruising goes. Little by little and slowly at first.

I think Hermie is the faster mover in this house – for the time-being.

Share/Bookmark

1. Joanna
    Posted Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Glad it’s off now and hope it starts feeling better soon. Did you keep the cast?

And first! :)

2. Z
    Posted Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Yet again, thankful for the NHS and free physiotherapy.

When I wasn’t able to bend over or bath or do anything much after my hip operation, my lower legs ended up scaly and horrible. In the end, I shaved off the dead skin. Don’t. I bled like a *insert oath of choice*. It got rid of the dead skin, mind you.

3. Posted Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Good to hear the cast is off. I can remember that being a wonderful feeling when I had mine taken off after two months.

4. Posted Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Take it easy and nourish your skin – even if you do feel like King Kong.
    I’ve had three leg fractures – in my careless days – and now concentrate on what I’m doing and drink less. It all helps and you’ll be as good as new in no time.

Posted Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 3:26 am | Permalink

Don’t even think of racing Hermie around the house until that foot is well and truly healed! You don’t want to injure it further because a) you won’t get to wear miniskirts with high, spike heels when the weather gets nice; and b) the girls will have to strap you to a hand truck, like Hannibal Lecter, because you’d likely drive your wheelchair off a bridge or into the newt pond or something.

6. Posted Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Anon, too – you will never see me in high, spike heels – they really mess with your back.

7. Sharon J
    Posted Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I’ve been a pincushion for 8 years now. Injection in the tummy area every day. Bruises galore. In fact, my stomach probably looks a bit like your tortoise at times. It’s amazing what you can get used to.

Glad the cast removal went well :)

8. Posted Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 3:39 am | Permalink

Now you can really concentrate on healing. Lots of skin lotion daily would help your skin, please don’t shave it off like Z did to hers. eeek.

Posted Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 4:10 am | Permalink

Z, they really mess with MY back??? Only when you walk on it (cue Kirsty MacColl’s “In These Shoes?”)

10. Ruth
    Posted Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Stomach injections for a broken foot?

I have heard of those for diabetics, but…

Happy healing anyway!

Ruth.

11. Daren
    Posted Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

good to hear the cast is off now! hope ur life will get easier from now on!

12. Posted Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Anon, too – stop being pedantic ;)

Ruth – anti-DVT injections.

13. Posted Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Poor you. It doesn’t sound good if it still hurts and is swollen. Are you sure you should be walking round on it?

14. Posted Friday, January 28, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Take care zoe, we like you in one piece

15. debbie
    Posted Friday, January 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Where is the TWAT, you haven’t mentioned him for ages. Have you broken up?

16. Posted Friday, January 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Yes, Debbie. We went our own ways last May. He lives near here and we are still good friends.

17. Posted Friday, January 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Exercise, and get back on that foot. (yes, I can see the girls strapping you to a hand truck)

18. tricia
    Posted Saturday, January 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I will never complain about the National Health again. I’ve never heard of injections in the stomach for a broken leg or casts coming off while the bone is still broken either, still what do I know? I remember when my cast came off my arm looked like a gorilla’s – covered in thick b black hair, but I resisted the urge to shave it off & it gradually went back to normal. I hope your foot heals properly – keep doing the exercises.

19. Posted Saturday, January 29, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear you’re up & about albeit with a hobble.

20. Drunken Jose
    Posted Sunday, January 30, 2011 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Zoe, I enjoy your blog and i think you should post more often, like in the old days. I do miss it! I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks this.